Friday, March 30, 2007

TV Update

I’ve posted a new movie review for the 300 below in case you haven’t checked in a while and don’t scroll down.

Here’s a quick note about some new TV shows

I’m now Tivo’ing a couple new TV shows. One is Raines starring the very talented Jeff Goldblum in a surprising move from Movies to TV. He plays a detective that sees his cases’ victims as hallucinations and solves his cases by getting to know them and watching his hallucinations change. Basically it is your standard cop/mystery show with the hallucinations as the only differentiating angle. Goldblum is very good. Like James Woods in Shark, it is amazing how a single actor can so dramatically affect how good the show is. That said, I don’t think Goldblum is enough. The show is just the same old mystery show we’ve all seen a thousand times or more. The only part of the show that stands out is the 3 minutes of dialogue per episode where Goldblum is humorously insulting to a fellow officer. That’s not enough. I’m giving it one more episode to change my mind and then it’s getting the axe.

The other show is the USA or is it FX…not sure…show (if I had wifi here where I’m typing I would look it up, but oh well) titled “The Riches.” Eddie Izzard and Minnie Driver play modern American Gypsies that steal the identities and lives of a wealthy family and try to pull off faking their way through these other people’s lives. It is pretty raw with some shocking violence and drug use, but it is also very smart and so far quite entertaining. The stars are great, the plots are real and engaging. So far I like it. It’s tough to watch sometimes, but worth it so far.

Oh wait, there’s another one I almost forgot. I’m also watching “The Black Donnelly’s” which I think is on NBC. It’s about 4 Irish brothers in….Boston…I think or is it NY? I can’t remember. Anyway, they are a poor family trying to maneuver through the mob and the neighborhood. It is really good. The main brothers is the perfect combo of sweet and duty-bound, cold strength. He’s clearly ripping off Michael Corleone, but that’s forgivable. This show appears to be a keeper so, of course, it will not be renewed for next year.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]