Thursday, October 05, 2006

What's on TV?

Here’s a few quick thoughts on some of the TV shows I’ve got Tivo’d at the moment. Let me know if I’m missing something good out there. WARNING – THE FOLLOWING WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS IF YOU ARE NOT CAUGHT UP ON A SHOW AND SINCE I AM NOT CAUGHT UP ON MOST OF THESE SHOWS IF YOU PLACE ANY SPOILERS IN THE COMMENTS I WILL HUNT YOU DOWN WHERE YOU LIVE AND…AND WELL…GET REALLY MAD AND STUFF….
1. Vanished – One of two kidnapping shows out. This one features mediocre production quality, bad directing, even worse writing and truly awful acting. I mean, some of the worst non-soap opera acting I have ever seen on TV. It also features a pretty interesting plot line with layers and conspiracies and enough to get my imagination going….so I’m still watching. I almost stopped watching because the acting was so brutal and then in the last episode I saw they took out the main character!!! He could be still alive, but I think it just as likely that he’s really dead and getting replaced by an actor that I actually like. Fantastic surprise to give the show much needed credibility going forward. Now I’m going to stick with it for a few more weeks, especially since I admittedly want to know what’s happening.

2. Kidnapped – The other kidnapping show that got a later start features much better writing/acting/production quality, etc. The plot seems much less layered or intriguing, but I think it is by far the better show. I have only seen one episode so far, but I liked what I saw. If you haven’t seen either and want to choose one to watch, definitely choose Kidnapped.

3. Prison break – don’t know why I’m still watching, but I am. It’s not a good show, but it hooked me in. I swore than if they didn’t get out of prison by the end of last year I was quitting. They made it. I was stunned. So, now I’m still watching. I’m a few weeks behind, but already I spend every week saying, “why would they do that? Do they want to get caught?” Oh well, if you aren’t already watching, don’t get into this one. You will get sucked in and then just end up watching a bad show.

4. Lost – Season premiere was last week. The characters on this show are really, really annoying at times as they seem bent on not allowing us to actually like or respect anyone on the show, but it isn’t enough to outweigh the fact that it is a really smart and creative show. It is the best keeps you guessing show since X-Files and if you can put up with the silly love triangle stuff and the implausibility of it all and the fact that Kate likes Sawyer more than Jack and so do most women I’m guessing (and yes I hate myself for writing that), then this is a really good show.
Get the DVDs of the earlier season and then get on board. Pretty fun adventure.

5. Shark – first episode was outstanding. Directed by Spike Lee and brilliantly done. Believable court room stuff which almost never happens for me. James Woods is great. After that the show has gone down hill a bit, but I’m still watching. If you are looking for a new legal drama or a replacement if L&O is getting stale, try this one out. A bit cliché, but Woods makes up for it.

6. Smith – this is “Heat” the TV show. Very good so far. Intense, well written, moves along, has some layers, good acting. No complaints. The heist story has become a bit old, but still a good show. My vote for best new show I’ve seen this year.

7. Heroes – After one episode I’m still watching. Some bad acting and I get the sense it could become cheesy, but pretty creative and well done. That said, it is a blatant rip off of X-men. I mean, it is the same story with less bizarre super powers (so far). I can’t believe they aren’t getting sued. Jury’s still out on this one, but I’m intrigued.

8. The Nine, Six Degrees, Studio 60 – Who has time? They are on my tivo, but at this rate, I may never watch them.

9. L&O – the original is still as good as ever. Both the new women on the show are great. I especially like the new DA. Too bad it got moved to Fridays which means this will be the last year, but it is still worth watching.

10. L&O Criminal Intent – this show is now good every other week. The shows with Chris Noth are a total waste of time even though I like his new partner. The shows with D’Ofriono or whatever his name is have been as good as ever so far. I’m still watching, but might start skipping the episodes without Bobby.

11. The Office, My Name is Earl – Best comedies on TV right now. Some glitch kept them from recording last week, so I’ve only seen one episode each, but they are still funny. If you are one of the apparently millions watching 2 and a half men, do yourself a favor and drop it and start watching something funny.

Ok, that’s all for now.

Comments:
I think they are cancelling "Smith".
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]