Thursday, July 13, 2006

Blade the Series

I was never a huge comic book guy and never a collector or anything like that, but I have always liked superhero stuff. I enjoyed the comics when I was a kid, I see every movie made from a comic book and often dress in red and blue tights when home bymyse.....ummm....wait, never mind, forget that last part.

So, when a new movie or tv show comes out that is based on a comic book (or "graphic novel" which is what you call it if you are an adult not wishing to admit you read comic books), or comic book character, even if I know it is going to be bad, I will check it out just in case. In truth, TV and Hollywood only get this stuff right maybe 35% of the time, but when they do it is some of my favorite stuff. Superman 1 and 2, both Spidermans, Batman 1 and 2 and the latest "New Beginning", and The Crow (just the original) are all among my favorite movies.

I never read "Blade", but enjoyed the first movie and generally like vampire stories and legends so long as they don't over emphasize the gore. The second and third Blade movies were not worth watching, but I still figured I would check out Spike channel's Blade the series and added it to Tivo. I watched the season premier last night and to my surprise, it was actually pretty decent. Pretty high production value on the look and special effects helps. The big mean black dude from Over There, who may be named "Sticky" plays Blade and did a good job. They are going to need to keep the characters around him with plenty of personality since Blade mostly scowls, growls and fights and little else, but if they can keep from trying to outdo themselves in every episode, they might have a watchable show here.

It is dark and violent and bloody and I just don't have the temperment to watch that all the time, but I'm keeping it on my tivo for now and if you liked the Blade films and have cable, you should check it out.

Comments:
Will your entertainment blog only cover movies and TV?
Tim just surprised me with season tickets to Broadway across America, including the shows Chicago, Hairspray, Jesus Christ Superstar,Aida and Joseph & the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.
I want to know if I am going to have fun. Will you be covering this category of entertainment?
I would have turned fifty years old a LONG time ago if I knew I could get this!
 
Wow, good job Tim. What a great gift. That said, I'm unlikely to start covering broadway musicals on a regular basis but let me offer this.

Of the shows you mentioned I have seen versions of all of them except Aida, even if you mean Avida. The best by far is Chicago. Great music, fun tongue-in-cheek writing, good characters, just a good show all around. Hairspray I thought was only so-so, but should still be a fun show. Jesus and Joseph will certainly help you get your 70s groove on and I have seen really good and really bad productions of both.

The reality is that live musical theater is very underrated entertainment. As much as I like movies, getting to a live show like this done by a good company blows most of Hollywood's offerings away in terms of the experience. I might catch some flack from my more matcho friends for this comment, but it is the truth. the good broadway shows almost always deliver your money's worth and that can't be said for most movies. You should have a great time.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]